Open Mon to Sun 11am to Midnight
Home Cooked Food served Mon to Sat 12 noon to 3pm
and 6pm to 8.30pm, Sundays 12 noon to 3pm
Sunday Roasts (4 meats), Vegetarian options
see food menu button, Free Wi-Fi
Live Music Saturday 8.30pm to Midnight
8 Church Street
Tewkesbury, GL20 5PA
Phone: 01684 290555
Location Map or Food Menu
Laurence and Natalie, hosts for the last 5 years, have recently updated the Berkeley Arms to reflect it's 12th century medieval heritage. This is well worth a visit just for the atmosphere.
The good food, beer, cider and wine tick all the boxes. The Berkeley Arms has Cask Marque accreditation and can be found in Camra's 2017 Good Beer Guide, both reflecting high quality.
Car Parking is provided a short walk away, please look for car park signs near the The Berkeley Arms Tewkesbury or click the button above to view the Location Map.
Dog Friendly like many other shops, pubs and cafes in Tewkesbury.
The Berkeley Arms is a Grade II listed building. There have been many improvements to the premises over at least 800 years, the surviving oldest part being a 12th century barn, now a medieval style dinning area.
The cellars are built in very old stone. The very substantial main chimney supports many timbers of the newer front part of the premisses, suggesting alteration works around 1550.
Before the 1850's the Berkeley Arms was known as the 'Queen's Arms', however the former landlord 'Sam Pearse' was made bankrupt in 1843. He had borrowed £2,000 against the pub, much more than it's value at the time.
No mention of the 'Queen's Arms' appears thereafter, but in 1849 a tenant called Hathaway occupies the premises. Licence records show he was registered as the Landlord of the 'Berkeley Arms' in 1869.
With the increase in cycle touring in the 1930's, the Berkeley Arms became an 'Offical Stop-over' for the British Cyclists' Touring Club in the days of 'cloth caps' and arty 'silk mufflers'.
In the 1960's a string of here today gone tomorrow tenants led to a decline in trade, the Berkeley Arms almost closed. This quickly achieved what Temperance Movements had failed to do over many decades.
Around 1969 a new floor was put down in the bar, to do so workmen had to remove 7 layers of old floor going way back in time, no archaeological Time Team in those days.
The Berkeley Arm's fortunes were restored by Philip and Ruby Jones over their combined 23 year tenancy beginning in 1969.
In the 1980's an old sealed up back room was opened, the floor was covered in a deep layer of old 19th century books. These may relate to a clearing of cupboards and discovery in 1896 of various deeds, wills and other documents relating to the 'Queen's Arms' and a former town inn called the 'Quart Pot' (pulled down in 1837).